Musings: Stop Believing...but Don't Stop Too

1:27 PM

Stop.

Just stop.

I have to get this off my chest. Please do not for one second think my social media posts are there to portray a 'perfect' life. A 'perfect' relationship. A 'perfect' ANYTHING.

Just a random candid...
I try to pretend that people don't analyze or formulate their opinions about me or my posts and what my real life entails. I will let you know that nothing is curated in my social media. I do love to post and share what I like and love. And that's just it. Me posting whatever makes me happy.

It isn't always sunshine and roses though. There have been though moments and thoughts posted, but in a more casual way. That is how I choose to share the harder moments, not to discredit them or hide them, but to show them in a light less ugly and harsh -- than they probably really are.

If you see a picture of J and I smiling and looking like the 'perfect' couple, I hope you check yourself. We have arguments, huge blow out ones at that too. We get angry, we say mean things. But we also have amazing moments too. We have moments of support and encouragement, but its not always like that. I don't want anyone to think that life is perfect over here at Musings of a Girly Tomboy, in social media land or in real life land.

An #Usie that didn't make it to Social Media
We are getting thorough, day by day, just like everyone else.

If that is the perception I give off, I don't mean to at all and I wholeheartedly apologize. I try to be as real and as honest as I can be. Well Camera 360 does help me hide the pimples and smooth the skin, but other than that you see whatever floats my boat. Well, besides L, but you all already know why I don't post much of her.

I'm sure I've over thunk this, but I just wanted to set the record straight. The portrayal of an always happy and lovey couple is not what I was going for. We have fought hard to love one another, but know that through it all we continue to fight for love each day. Some days are harder and some days it comes easy.  Just as do all things in our life -- friendships, work, and family.

I need this reminder at times too, especially when I find myself getting lost in the beautiful images of Instagram. I forget that comparison is the thief of joy. I forget that I have so much to be grateful for, while I'm googling over someone who just put their fifteenth stamp in their passport. So, to make it clear to everyone, nothing about me is perfect.

As much as I enjoy social media, I find that it is training us to compare ourselves, our lives, our everything instead of appreciating the life we are living. I think we forget that even though it's not posted somewhere, doesn't mean it's not happening. Myself included, here. I hope that if you know me in person, you know my social media is a reflection of me, but NOT me. I hope you know the two parallel each other, but the social media life does not dictate my real life. 

I will admit that social media takes up a bunch of my personal time. I could really use a gentle reminder to disconnect from time to time. I'm sure J would attest to that in less than one second. And for all this nonsense I'm going on and on about, I've also met some really cool people through social media. For that I am grateful for too. There will always be someone who's grass seems greener, via social media or in real life, so learning to appreciate what you have and what is yours is what is key in this equation. And like you, I need a reminder of reality versus curated reality from time to time.

I have insecurities. I have doubts. I have it all.

No one's life is as perfect as their Instagram feed may lead you to believe...

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Jennifer GomezTuesday, May 09, 2017

    Steph,

    THIS is so beautifully and honestly written. I feel like sooo many people can relate to the way you are feeling. And yes, you are perfect. Nobody can be YOU better than YOU. That equals:Perfection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lady! Thanks for stopping by AND thank you for your sweet words! It's so crazy to think of how old we are now, from where we met on the Softball field all those years ago. Memories that make me smile and reflect with gratefulness! Thanks for believing in me and being supportive, it means the world to me! xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...