Diary of a Non-Cook: Sloppy Joes

8:56 AM

Do you judge Sloppy Joe's as much as I do?
I kinda think of them as trashy food, not in the trash, but trashy people food. Yes, that's shallow. Yes, I did grow up eating them from time to time. Please don't ask where this notion came from, because I don't have an adequate answer.

From what I can remember, my Mom would make these from time to time. However, she'd wing hers. She'd throw anything in there to season it, literally whatever we had in the fridge. I swear she'd even use the Taco Bell packets for some added flavor. No judgement, just what I grew up on. She didn't make them often, just from time to time. I can attest that we did NOT eat the stuff out of the can...at least I hope we didn't...right, Ma?

I haven't had one in years. Maybe even a decade. We are trying to be more budget savvy and use what we purchase, I had a bunch of hamburger buns. I was actually going to make a lasagna, but figured I should make something to use those up before they became moldy.

I had the bright idea of Sloppy Joe's. I've seen the recipe pop up in my Pinterest Feed a few times. Even though I'd shy away from it normally, I figured why not?! So, I ran the idea by J and he was all for it. So, searching through various pins I came across two that I was okay with, finally deciding on one because it used more seasonings and seemed more legit. My criteria, again, has no real basis.

When I first saw the Pin it read 'New Nostalgia.' I didn't realize this was the blog title where the recipe resides, even though I've used Pinterest enough to know what I'm doing. The pin takes you to Amy's blog, New Nostalgia, where she has a recipe for 30 Minute Sloppy Joes

To be fair I skipped all of her musings regarding Sloppy Joes and got straight to recipe (I did go back and read it as I wrote this post). I was at Target, so I bought a lot of my seasonings there, which was in addition to the ones I knew I already had at home. I always buy ground turkey, but Target's selection was either about-to-expire-in-one day with meat juice on the wrapper ground turkey OR lean ground beef on sale. I hate to admit it, but I went with the later. The ground turkey was just so gross, top it off with the close expiration date, I couldn't do it. Even if ground turkey is the healthier option. Also, going to another store was not happening, just for ground turkey. So I caved and got ground beef. Funny thing is, J didn't even know he was eating beef, he just assumed it was turkey! So, I guess I win! ;) HAHA, I kid...I kid...

I am going to put the recipe here, but please visit her New Nostalgia and/or Pinterest too. She has some cool, family friendly stuff to peruse.

30 Minute Sloppy Joes

6 Hamburger Buns -- I had five, but we only used three, one for each of us.
1 1/2 lbs Ground Beef (organic, grass-fed is best!) -- I used 1lb of lean ground beef.
1 Small Onion, Chopped -- J hates onions, so I just put some in, he didn't even complain!
3/4 Cup Ketchup -- Trader Joe's Organic Ketchup is the BEST!
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Mustard -- Used good ol French's
1/2 Lemon, squeezed -- I was confused by this, but did it anyways.
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Paprika (I prefer smoked paprika)
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
1/2 Teaspoon Salt -- I used Trader Joe's Pink Himalayan Salt, I don't think it made a difference.
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Oregano

Instructions:
In large skillet, saute the ground beef and onion until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is tender and translucent. Drain Meat

Mix in ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and all seasonings.

Simmer on Medium heat until flavors meld, about 20 minutes. Serve on buns and enjoy!

It was super easy, the most time consuming part of the recipe was measuring out the seasonings. If I was smart, I would have measured out two sets, so I could have it for the next time I make these. They were so quick and easy, literally cook the meat and add the stuff. And to be honest, it isn't really that unhealthy, since it is all seasonings for flavor, not out of a can or package. 

I used the broiler option and toasted the buns, which may have been a little toasty. Then I threw on some cheese and melted that too. Add the Sloppy Joe mix and I was done. I also bought some of the Alexia Oven Baked Seasoned Waffle Cut Fries, which I timed to be done baking when the Sloppy Joe mix would be done simmering with all of the seasonings! It call came out nicely.
J liked it, he enjoyed that it was 'tangy!' Also, the mix isn't too 'sloppy' so that it makes the bun soggy, which I appreciate. I love the mixture of the flavors and so did everyone. L approved as well, which I was a little hesitant about. From my time with her, she's never eaten them before, but she ate it all up! Probably wasn't the 'healthiest dinner,' but it was quick, easy, and delicious...enjoyed by all!

Sloppy Joe's, I apologize for overlooking you all these years, it won't happen again!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...