Diary of a Non-Cook: Fiesta Ranch Dip

10:03 AM

What's the trade-off for a quick dip recipe?


It may come out looking like throw up! No biggie, right?!

Good thing it tasted okay. I honestly don't think there's anyway to make it presentable or to make it NOT look like throw-up in a bowl, no matter how nice your dish is...

The end of last week was really focused on L's bday party on Saturday, pretty much everything else was an afterthought, until that the party was done. Then we decided to head to Tahoe for more birthday adventures for L, Lil, and Mom...even though that plan was somewhat foiled on Sunday. That all being said, we needed a quick dip (and chips) recipe to bring to our yearly Labor Day family celebration/BBQ.

My family knows I'm still in my 'learning' phase of cooking...and will most likely stay there forever, so they always give me simple dishes to bring to family parties. This party was no different, chips & dip. I literally didn't start looking up something until Sunday afternoon, when we got back from Tahoe. I didn't go shopping until Monday AM after the gym, right before we headed out to the party.

Quick + minimal ingredients were important for the recipe I was going to use. Also, it had to be something that I thought everyone would enjoy. I guess I didn't really factor in the aesthetics of said dip! Of course I used Pinterest, that seems to be my go-to these days. I literally typed in 'dip recipes' and 'easy' auto populated itself to the search. Fiesta Ranch Dip was the first one to pop up, so I clicked on it. It looked simple, tasty, and only had four ingredients!

Then I took a closer look and Mary at Sweet Little Bluebird, had actually updated the recipe and added a few more ingredients. It was only two more ingredients, so it wasn't a big deal. Also, the prep and actual making time was so minimal, I had to make this...and see how it tasted!

While at Safeway, buying all the ingredients, I was appalled that a Hidden Valley Ranch packet was $2.99 (regular price), that seems really expensive. Am I crazy? I never make my own ranch, but I was not expecting to spend that on a packet of dressing ingredients. Also, it should be known that I love me some Tosito's Scoops, always have, always will! I was trying to hurry, so I saw that the 'original' recipe called for Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch Dip, but Safeway didn't have that. So to improvised by grabbed a packet of taco seasoning to add to the ranch packet, but if I would have read ahead that was her suggestion in her new 'revised' recipe. Also, what the hell is Rotel? I didn't think Safeway had it, but I had to look up high on the shelf. The things I learn...

Item's purchased, I was able to make this dip in literally about 4 minutes. Empty the contents of most of the items, drain the cans of veggies, measure out the cheese, and then mix. But this is when I realized it wasn't going to look so great. This mixture of orange, creamy, yet chunky dip really did look like throw up. I didn't have time to fret about it. I put it in the fridge to chill and then got ready for the party.

Here is Mary's Fiesta Ranch Dip recipe, but please visit her blog as well: 
Photo from Sweet Little Bluebird
Ingredients (New Variation):
1 Packet Hidden Valley Ranch Original Salad Dressing
1 Packet Taco Seasoning
10oz Can Rotel Original (drain excess liquid)
16oz Sour Cream
1 Can of Mexicorn or Sweet Corn (drained)
3/4 Cup Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Directions - Mix all ingredients in Medium sized bowl. Chill in fridge for one hour. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips. Enjoy! 

To Jazz Up - Top with finely shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and olives.

Enjoy!

I tried to jazz it up by putting it in a contrasting black dish, but that didn't really help. Nor did the shredded cheese on top. Oh well, I didn't have time nor the desire to care about its appearance. I didn't even taste it, so that was the scary part.
Luckily for me there weren't the normal horde of Ganeeban's at the family party. However, most people said it tasted good. J said it was 'whatever,' not really his thing I guess :/ Oh well, I actually liked it, even though it wasn't healthy for you, nor was it appetizing to look at. Anyways, at least I tried something new AND I love being able to move pins from my Maybe One Day I'll Make It board to my Made It! board, even though it should probably go in my #NailedIt board since it came out so gross looking....

Trying to log some diary of a Non-Cookin' entries like a champ over here...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...