3 Years [Midtown] Strong!

8:27 AM

Well, I thought I started in September 2013...

...but I guess I was wrong, it was October 2013. As I approach my 3 year anniversary at Midtown Strength & Conditioning, I couldn't be any MORE grateful for the crazy humans and gym that have impacted my life, my strength (physical and mental), my body, and my lifestyle.
Random Midtown pics from over the years...
It wasn't that I wasn't an active person who always went to the gym. This gym is just different. Here, I am challenged. I would push myself a lot, but I just didn't have the education and knowledge of weights and the body, like they do at Midtown. Every workout at Midtown is different and all I have to do is show up, sweat, and work hard. In case you want to see what I do on most Monday's, Wednesday's, Friday's, and Saturday's head over to Milo's blog, Strength Sessions. He openly shares all of his programing, which is really awesome!

My blog postings on Midtown have also evolved. I started a section called Swole Log to log all the workouts I did. It got too tedious, so I stopped. I also saw it as a place where I could put some basic information up too, which might help others decode all the damn acronyms in any gym. I've tried to keep it up to date from time-to-time. It's like a little Midtown time capsule, for those interested in it.

I have had my ups and downs with my attendance there, but currently I'm in a really great place with Midtown, which makes it easy to celebrate 3 years of going here! I've been going consistently for 5 or 6 days a week and I'm loving it. It's hard, I sweat way too much, I curse, but I love it all. I'm even enjoying lifting weights and doing the hard stuff, aka snatches. Ugh, those things kill me, but we do them all the time.

In any workout setting, I find myself comparing myself to others. I get annoyed when I'm one of the last ones to finish a workout (still hasn't changed from when I started at Midtown), that's the competitive side in me. But deep down I know that I'm here for me to get better and stronger, no one else can do that for me. So in that moment I may be annoyed, but I know why I'm there.

Midtown gets competitive and I love it, even though I'm never the first one done in anything! But I appreciate everyone, coaches included, pushing me. I've realized I need it as I've gotten older. My life doesn't solely revolve around sports and working out anymore, so I don't push myself in that area as much as I used too. To hear someone call me out to lift heavier, run faster, or to not take a break may seem harsh, but I know its with the best of intentions and maybe a little love ;)

I (somewhat) effortlessly wake up at 5AM to get to the gym. I see most of the same faces I saw three years ago. It truly is a family dynamic there. Everyone knows when you're on vacation or missing, they will check in on you. Things have changed over three years, some might even say drastically within the last year, but the core of Midtown is still there. People go there to get better and lift heavier. That hasn't changed. More new faces are piling in all the time, it's fun to see Midtown thrive.

I'm happy to be a (paying) member of this family. I know people gawk at the price, especially when big box gyms are so cheap these days, but I truly see value in what I get when I walk through the roll-up door at Midtown.

Don't you celebrate your gym anniversary? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...