Tomorrow is a Latter Day!

1:30 PM

So many questions..

...about everything! In life and in general, but really my experience surrounding the critically acclaimed Book of Mormon.

To be completely honest, I had no idea what this play was about. I knew that it was about Mormons and most likely satire, so I decided to buy tickets with two of my co-workers. We bought these tickets back at the end of 2015 and I almost forget about the event as it approached.

Leading up to it, I did very minimal research. I felt I should at least look it up to see the premise of what I paid money to go see. Essentially Wikipedia told me that the story line follows a pair of missionaries to Uganda for their mission. I also confirmed the rumor I'd heard, that the writers were also the writers behind South Park.

Oh boy...this was going to be good. Even though I've never seen an episode of South Park, not one.

We planned to grab dinner beforehand, to make a real experience out of it. After a couple glasses of wine, sharing a huge pretzel, and enjoying my entree, we were ready to saunter over to the Sacramento Community Center Theater for the show. We grabbed our tickets at Will Call and made our way into the theater. I should have known what I was in for, by the sights of what they were selling at the small retail kiosk. I saw, but I didn't mentally digest what I saw. After a bano stop and grabbing a glass of wine (for me) and goodies for my co-workers, we found our seats.

Rib Eye Steak Sandwich // Firestone
The Texan // The Almost Ironman // Me
I don't mind crude or vulgar, but when it catches me off guard, it's even more hysterical. I can't even lie, my old lady eyes were giving me some issues, even though we had decent seats. Also, some of the singing didn't come in as clear as I would have hoped, but I did get the gist of a song sang that included the C words. Not just the See (C) You Next Tuesday word, that word too, but the scientific word for a lady part. I can't even type it here, even though I said I was okay with vulgar and crude (but just not on the blog, I guess).

From the beginning act to the curtain closing I was amused the whole, entire time. The character development, the story line, the vulgarity, the singing, the actors and actresses, everything made for a memorable experience. One of my favorite parts was how the Ugandan's said Salt Lake City, which was "Sal Tlay Ka Siti"! I can't even sit here and type that without laughing to myself! I also don't think I'll ever be able to hear the word "maggots" and not think of this play. Not that I'd say I'm well versed in attending plays, but this is the only play I've see where the character ad-libbs before the curtain closing to raise money for a charity. And even his ad-libbing was on point, he was vulgar, hilarious, but still attempting to raise money from the crowd. From the moment we saw the first Elder to the last words spoken, it was a great performance. I laughed, I cringed, I blushed, and then I laughed some more. 

I'm still mad that they said maple donuts will be in Hell, that's just wrong, completely wrong!

As we all left the show, there were dapper young men (name tags and all) offering us the actual Book of Mormon. My initial reaction was that it was a marketing ploy by the play, but NO, they were real life Mormons (probably on their mission). They were nothing but sweet and polite, and well dressed I might add -- not in the stereotypical Mormon gear of a white button up, black tie, and black pants. My co-worker took one, because she is super nice like that.

I left completely happy with our decision to go to this play. Buuuuuut...I also had a lot of questions going through my mind:
Does the Mormon church care about this play?
Has the church made an official statement regarding this play?
How many Mormon's have seen this play?
Did I really just hear the C word in a play?
How much did the writers have to pay the Mormon's to get this on to Broadway?
What is the significance of Uganda to the story?
Did the writers really grow up Mormon or is that a rumor?

I did notice that the Church of Latter Day Saints is taking the opportunity to recruit new members. They even went as far as placing ads in the programs, three full page ads. They showcased three non-stereotypical Mormons. They chose a man and a woman who were ethnic and the third was a Caucasian man who was not clean cut and shaven, but rather a little more edgy and rugged. They didn't use much copy, just their portraits suggesting that they were Mormon and the website. Being Marketing semi-obsessed, I thought it was an genius idea to use that platform as well as have their missionaries outside of the theater. 

In high school, I met one of my best friends to date. On the blog, I refer to her as the Mormon (for some anonymity), even though you see pics of her and her LoveBugs on her from time to time. I went to Mormon dances with her, went to her wedding reception at the Mormon church, and even attended the 'blessing' of her third child at a Mormon Church. My experiences with the Mormon church have been nothing short of sweet and welcoming. It gave me a little perspective as to what happens within their religion, I repeat a little perspective. No one tried to convert me, but at the blessing one woman asked if I was the mother of a very white looking baby, so that is always a funny memory from that day ;)

Growing up I played soccer with another Mormon, it was until I got older did I understand why she never played in our tournament games on Sundays. She was an integral part of our defense and to have her gone on the second day of a tournament was always detrimental and it pissed me off! I didn't see it as her respecting and following her faith, but letting our team down. As I became older, I understood the significance of her absence on the field. I also used to play (adult-ish) co-ed soccer with another Mormon who would always answer my questions about his religion. I'm pretty sure he's the one that taught me about the different levels of heaven and Mormon underwear. He always answered my questions and we had decent conversations until he sent missionaries to my house. I stopped asking any more questions.

It wasn't until I posted a picture on Instagram and the Mormon responded "Meh," did I realize I might have offended some of my friends that practice that religion. I cared that I may have hurt her feelings, but then again I also didn't care. She has thick skin and wouldn't be offended by me attending the play, she may be offended by their message. So yeah, I felt slightly bad. But then I sat and thought about it more and I've always mocked their religion. From the snide remarks about missionaries, oddness of their sacred temples, to their overall religion - I've always joked about the Mormon religion. A lot of us have, but I never thought about what I was actually doing. Who am I to ridicule a religion that someone wants to believe in? Okay, there can be so many caveats to that, but you know what I'm trying to say here...

Don't get me wrong, the Book of Mormon was hilarious and I'd go see it again in a heartbeat. It just left me with many, many questions and also challenged my thought process of my actions, past and present. Vulgar humor is something I can easily get down with, but I hesitate a little more now when I want to make a snarky comment about another religion. It takes a hellavua religion to make good humor for two full hours, stereotypes and all. Kudos to everyone, the actors/actresses for their skills, the Mormons for being good sports, and the writers for writing a funny ass play for us to enjoy!

Maggots and scrotum should never be in the same sentence...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...