Musings: I Can't Afford Girl Scout Cookies

2:37 PM

What the actual F?!

$5 a box?! Is this serious? Is this real life? I thought I bought some last year, but I would wholeheartedly remember paying that exorbitant amount for a box of crack that is Samoas or Tagalongs!
Those socks NEVER stayed up and those tassels were weird!
First it should be noted that I love the Girl Scouts. I met one of my best friends through this organization. Her and her family are still close to my family. You've seen her on here plenty of times and I'm pretty sure I've even discussed it on here, but the Guidette and I met in Brownies (Girl Scouts). It was also where our Mom's became friends as Co-Leaders. I have great memories of putting on that scratchy outfit, especially those tassels around my calves (what the hell was that all about), the only time I've ever really camped, AND killin' it at selling cookies.

To be fair, my Parents killed it at selling cookies! They both worked for State (CA) agencies, which is where tons of Sacramentans work, which means tons of potential sales. Seriously, I would earn the 500 badge almost every year. But they were never as expensive as they are now. Yes, I get it -- I'm a lot older now and things are more expensive, but they've doubled in price!

And don't even get me started on calling my beloved Samoas, the stupidly named Caramel Delites! I refuse, just like I won't call Arco Arena, Sleep Train Arena. Some things are just sacrelig! Girl Scout cookies and the home of the Sacramento Kings, apparently.

On the offical Girl Scout website they say that the names have changed because each district is allowed to choose which cookie distributor they would prefer to use. Depending on which distributor they choose depends on what name they are given. Apparently they also may slightly differ in taste and texture, since it's different manufacturers. Well, Sacramento and surrounding areas, get your act together and get us those old school named cookies!

I have no problem with the way the Girl Scouts use this yearly crack sale to make money for indivudual troops and the organization. I was once part of it and encourage any little (or older) girl to be a part of it. Friendships, creativity, learning, and support are all essential growth for little girls and the Girl Scouts provides that, contingent on if you have a good and dedicated troop leader(s). It's a great organization and I had nothing but good memories, but now I'm a little jaded.
Sorry blurry pic, I believe this was at a 'bridge ceremony' when I was  Junior.
How do I ask people to buy $5 boxes of cookies? I just do. That's more expensive than most cookies at any Whole Foods! Chew on that for a second. Those GS's know what they are doing to us. The cookies are so damn delicious and addicting, people will shell out $5 per box to savor these cookies that are only sold once a year. I get it, I really do. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with four or five boxes from our fave little Girl Scout ;)

But damn, inflation ain't a joke these days!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I feel like they don't taste as good anymore. Not as tasty. But man $5 a box will really help me not go over board in buying them! -Kaelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Samoas still taste amazing! And I'll shell out the damn $5/box for them!! Xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  2. I was a girl scout too and I have a lot of great memories from my short time involved. I actually didn't love selling cookies (I remember dreading that part) but I loved the crafts, camping, retreats, etc. I like to justify the $5 a box price tag by telling myself the money goes to a good cause (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The competitive person in me came out and I loved it, but I can see why you wouldn't. We're taught to not talk to strangers our entire childhood, then we are asked to do it to sell cookies, conflicting to say the least! I agree, I use the justification too! Xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  3. If you think about the price, you'll have a heart attack. It's just a $5.00 donation to the Girl Scouts- ERS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best way to think about it, otherwise I'll go crazy! Xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  4. My husband came home the other day and told me he put in an order for 8 (yes, EIGHT) boxes from one of his employee's daughter. But... I had NO idea they are $5 a box! Whoa. When did that happen. Every time I eat one of those cookies, I'm going to think about eating a quarter. And the Samoas are my absolute favorite!!! I could never understand why they started calling them something different. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My co-worker told me his Niece in Tennessee was selling hers for $3.50/box...so I'm really confused! Maybe they cost less where you guys are or he just knows he can only stock pile once a year and they freeze well ;) haha, I can imagine you sitting there thinking of a quarter as you eat a delicious Samoa!! Xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...