3 6 5 Days

1:06 PM

...of not eating Fast Food.
don't want accolades. But J sure does. 

I will give him his kudos and accolades, but I still don't need them.

I'm an "all in or out" type of girl, which isn't new. I don't do good with moderation, probably another 2016 goal that should be worked on. That being said, food, especially Fast Food, (FF here on out) is no exception.

I have done this before, J has not.


The first time I did this, I went one year. The second time I did it, it was two years, now I believe this was my third time and I did it for one year (again) with J. So, maybe the reason I don't care is because I've done it before. Or because I still had my fair share of burgers, fries, and unhealthy eats all year.

We can sit here and debate what 'FF' is forever, but since this was our thing, here was our parameter. Easiest way to sum this up would be no food from a place that has a drive thru. Granted, there are a few places that we ate at that has drive thru's in some of their locations, but we did not eat at one of those. Okay, we aren't perfect and there is no rule or fool proof way to our 'project' (for lack of a better term), but that is what we based it on.

We didn't eat from Mc Donald's, Taco Bell, Jimboy's (sorry non-CA friends, you probably don't know this one), Carl's Jr. (I don't eat here anyways), Wendy's (here either), Jack in the Box (here either), Arby's (here either), In and Out, or anywhere else like this. But we did eat at places such as Panda Express on occasion and I know they are known to have drive thrus in some of their locations. We used our own discretion. J took the challenge seriously, he didn't even eat KFC chicken when someone brought it to a potluck (after he asked my opinion, of course).

At times, it was a little difficult. But I really didn't miss it. When we bought L a kids meal, the smell of french fries was intoxicating. A positive side effect was that we didn't take L to get much FF for the year either, less than a handful of times, if I remember correctly. When friends wanted to go on a road trip or eat FF in general, it didn't really bug me that much. The initial smell is delicious, but then you get over it after about 30 seconds.

As January approached, we started talking about what our next move would be. I said let's go another year, only to have J laugh in my face. He'd already been plotting his January 1st meal, probably for a few months. So instead, I came up with a different trade-off. Since we stopped doing veggie week cold turkey in the last quarter of 2015, I countered with 1.) We should choose one day a month that we can eat Fast Food and 2.) We have to do Meatless Mondays if we do #1. J agreed and we set the date as the 15th of every month. Then came the parameters if the 15th is on a Monday, which it happens right away in February. We said we'd adjust and eat it another day. Then we discussed January, since we planned to eat it on the 1st, do we skip the 15th this month? That is still TBD.

{Yesterday was our first MM. I participated. J did not. Only 51 more to go for me, I'm not sure what his plan is.}

January 1st came and we both were a little too excited to have some FF in our lives. Since we spent the day, day-tripping to the City, we planned our FF adventure for dinner. After binge watching Homeland for a few hours, we finally made our way to our first FF adventure in 365 days.

I knew one thing for sure, we were going to Taco Bell and Mc D's. I had no idea what I was going to order, but I knew it was something from both. My game time decision came down to a Cheesy Gordita Crunch and a Filet-O-Fish meal. Please don't judge, thanks! I was so worried my stomach was going to hurt. I eat semi-unhealthy so I knew my body wasn't going to go into shock. But I do know how bad FF is for you and I was a little worried. Totally TMI, but I was fine besides my endless farting that night. Yeah, that was enough to make me not want it any more or again. It didn't make my stomach hurt per se, but my body rejected it in a different way ;)

To be completely honest, I don't really care what others think of our randomness. I know myself well enough to know that I am too 'all or nothing,' especially when it comes to food in general. So, I don't mind giving up FF. I still make unhealthy food decisions, but this just makes it a little easier for me to make less unhealthy decisions. We both got made fun of, him more so than I, and told we were dumb/weird for doing this, but I don't care! It was not affecting anyone but us and I can live with that. I am proud of J for doing it for the first time ever and he was really awesome about it all.

We weren't perfect, we ate super unhealthy at times. Making better food choices is part of the point of this, but more so to take the temptation away from us. Knowing that it wasn't available to us, made us think a little more consciously about what we would eat. It's not to say we didn't make poor choices, it just took away the easy and very unhealthy way we might have chosen in the past. I realize I'm an 'all or nothing' type of gal, so I need to practice self control and stick to what our plan is for 2016, only once a month. Normally that would be a gateway to allowing me to slip and eat it on other days, justifying it away, but I won't. It wasn't even that good on the first AND I don't want to fart like that again, it was soooo gross!

Did I learn anything amazing and fascinating? No. Am I happy about what I did? Yes. I'll take my small victory over not growing or learning at all, any day!

Meatless Monday, time to get antiquated!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love your health challenges, I don't eat too much fast food but I definitely love the idea of challenging myself not to eat any for a year. Meatless Monday is a great idea, I don't think you will have too much of a problem with it (though I'm a vegetarian so my opinion is a bit biased, haha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, my randomness can be silly! The only prob with MM is that I rarely cook on Monday nights cause we both play soccer that night, so I foresee lots of eggs in my future ;) I didn't realize you're a Vegetarian, but kudos to that. If I liked beans of any kind, I think being Vegetarian might be an option for me, but I don't...and love bacon too much! Haha! Xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...