Guest Post - A Decision that Changed My Life

8:42 AM

My FIRST guest post, ever!
I'm kinda excited, I hope you enjoy it! A few months back, I gave you a quick preview of my idea in a post. Well, I've been sitting on this nugget for awhile.

I met Trinity back in the early 2000's while working together, we've pretty much followed each other from job to job through a decade and a half of knowing each other. However, she's become much more than a friend to me, but more so one of my unbiological sisters. Her, along with the Bestest, and I make up our little Ride or Die clique and I admire her for so many reasons. She's a badass in everything she does, she is the most loyal friend you could ask for, and has more compassion than most people I know.
Trinity in action.
Photo by Jeff Namba
She jumped at the opportunity to write a guest post...so please enjoy!

The instant Stephanie asked me to share a little something for her blog; I knew what I wanted to talk about. It is something that I decided to do that changed my life.

I grew up with a “hippie” mom who cooked dinner at home almost every night, made our lunches and had us taking vitamins and supplements for as long as I remember. I believe that set the foundation for my eventual life change in 2013. My mom taught us that a home cooked meal was worth waiting for, food could help you feel better and that taking additional vitamins played a role in our overall health. Often our lunches were made so healthily that I was made fun of for bringing it to school; as a kid I didn’t understand and appreciate what she was doing for my brother and I. Looking back I am so grateful she did or I wouldn’t be the person I am now.

Growing up our meals were made from scratch and prepared with love. Our family talked about food and recipes as well as what we would like for the next evening’s meal. My brother and I were encouraged to help in the kitchen and we loved it so much that we would create an in-home “restaurant” for my parents to dine at. We were allowed to and praised for experimenting with new recipes, help with grocery shopping and explore different types of cooking.

I really enjoyed all of it except for one thing at that point in my life. I had a sneaking suspicion that some of what I was eating wasn’t sitting right with my body or spirit. Early on in college I read Diet for a New America in college. It was written by John Robbinsthe son of the popular chain Baskin Robbins, who decided to walk away from the business because of what it was built on. It was the beginning of a new found awareness for me.I became vegetarian in 2001.  

Fast forward to present day I have been completely plant-based for two years now and am in the best shape of my life. It started with a desire to enhance my athletic performance and lose some weight. What I “gained” from this way of eating is respect for food, where it comes from, how it’s prepared and animals, the environment as well as a 20lb weight loss! 

There are times that I ask myself “why didn’t I do this earlier on in life?” It’s never too late.
I sometimes avoid using the word vegan as it seems to bring a negative connotation and use plant based instead but don’t confuse it with my pride of being vegan. This lifestyle, not diet, has made me a better person inside and outI continue to build my knowledge around this lifestyle and its benefits as well as being a part of a tight knit community of like-minded people. I am continually inspired by people around me that choose this lifestyle and/or try it.


Resources to Check Out:

Thanks for being my first guest post, Trin-Monies. I appreciate you taking the time to write a blog post and I hope everyone (reading this) enjoyed it, as much as I did!
Although I (re: we) tease her, I love my Vegan adventures with Trinity!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...