Paa...What? [Fork Lifter Food Truck + Sac Peel'd]

8:55 AM

Paelo, you say?

How do you pronounce that? What the hell is that? Okay, okay. So I think I know how to say it and what it means, but then again, that doesn't have much merit.

Note: I did not receive compensation for this post. I wanted to try it out, so I paid with it for my own hard earned money. This is not a sponsored post, although I wouldn't have said no if they asked ;)

I've tried a juice from Peel'd and knew that I enjoyed it. But I've been contemplating trying out meals from Fork Lifter Food Truck. With the onslaught of the re-introduced Paleo diet (also known as the Caveman diet) married with Crossfit, many meal prep companies are coming to the forefront. Midtown and Fork Lifter also have a very close connection, so they are always popping up in my social media! 

My affinity for not-cooking-a-damn-thing, makes these companies and meals seem very appealing. But then I let my baller-on-a-budget shine through and don't want to pay for them, they are expensive. Then I saw Peel'd promoting a 3-Day Juiced Up Paleo Program. The attraction was the collaboration with Fork Lifter Meals, since I'd really been wanting to try them out. For $100 you get the following each day, for three days:
  • 2 Juices
  • 1 Smoothie
  • 1 Paleo Meal
I literally didn't know anything other than that's what I was going to receive, with an average cost of $33/day. I wasn't sure if they wanted me to only eat that, like somewhat of a cleanse (which I'm opposed too and would have added food anyways). I could have done more research, but I didn't. Before I signed up, I wanted clarification regarding certain ingredients that I don't like - mushrooms, bananas, and almond milk. Peel'd responded that they can personalize any item in the program, not an issue. So, I signed up for it and waited for August 31st to roll around. When I paid via their website, I saw the delivery fee was $12. I wasn't sure if this was per day or total, so I didn't chose that option. I kept it cheap and thought I'd pick-up my order.

The days leading up, they sent a few emails on how to prepare. This is what made me think it was a cleanse, right off the bat. But then they sent a tailored email regarding the specific program I signed up for. However, my phone wouldn't let me read it, so I was still in the dark as to what I was getting myself into...

Come to find out, you can only get each order each day. As everything is made fresh each morning. It's awesome in theory, but kinda annoying in actuality. However, she said that she wouldn't mind dropping it off for the Tuesday delivery and that the $12 fee was not per/day, as I had suspicion it would be.

Planning:
None done on my part, but Peel'd makes sure you have plenty of information before you start with their meals and/or juices. I received a couple of emails with information, they even offered a Pinterest page with recipes to compliment their program. In addition, I received emails from my Wellness Mentor - Julie Jones. She had tips on what to do prior and during the program, as well as suggested lots of water intake, as all the fiber could constipate me (no problem over here, TMI)! There is even a FB group for support, which I never joined. They really take this serious, whether it's a program or a cleanse, they go above and beyond for their customers. They emailed me every day of the program, which was nice. Although I wasn't taking this as seriously as I probably should have, given my financial investment, it was nice to see that they are methodical and have the details planned out.

Day 1:
Juice: Raspberry Red // Raspberry, Celery, Beet, Apple - Loved, especially because it had beets. It was on the sweeter side, so it was easy to drink!

Juice: Green Goblin // Kale, Cucumber, Celery, Apple, Lemon, Lime, Ginger - Liked a lot, the Ginger came through a bunch, but not overwhelming. Ended up burping it up a lot, but enjoyed the flavors.

Smoothie: Berries, Dates, Spinach, & Coconut Milk - I really liked it, it wasn't too sweet or tart. It felt like there was a bite, but it wasn't spicy. I can probably attribute that to the ginger.

Meal: Fish // Salmon, broccoli, and roasted garlic cauliflower mash - I really liked the flavor of the salmon, it was cooked just right. The broccoli was a little hard for my liking, but I probably could have taken it out and cooked it a little more. The cauliflower mashers were delish, even though I was hesitant, the flavor and texture were good! 



Other Items Eaten During the Day:
  • Lemon poppy seed muffin, eaten in 1/3 increments during the day - Tupelo
  • 1 cup of Naked Coffee with a little sugar water - Tupelo
  •  1/3 of a Chicken Burrito Bowl - Chipotle
Day 2:
Juice: Carrot Pineapple // Carrot, Cucumber, Orange, Pineapple - The sweeter of the two today, but loved it! It was a great blend, even if I was a little hesitant at first.

Juice: Green Goblin // Kale, Cucumber, Celery, Apple, Lemon, Lime, Ginger - Same as yesterday, but the flavor was slightly different. Less ginger coming forward and more Lemon and Apple!

Smoothie: Pineapple, Kale, & Coconut Milk - If healthy tasted good, this is what it would taste like. It wasn't amazing, but it was good. The kale gives it texture and the pineapple gives it a hint of sweet, mixed together it is an oddly, good tasting healthy smoothie!

Meal: Salad // Chicken, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Crasins, Sunflower Seeds, Butternut Squash, and Dijon Dressing - I wasn't sure how much I was going to like the dressing, but I ended up liking it. I used a light hand when I added it to the salad. I also warmed up the chicken and butternut squash for 30 seconds, before adding to the salad - I'm weird about cold meat, freaks me out! These aren't items I'd generally throw in a salad together, but I wasn't going to waste my money so I ate it and actually enjoyed it. I ate about 2/3s of it for lunch, but got full. I ate the last 1/3 around 4:15PM as my snack.

Other Items Eaten During the Day:
  • Peet's coffee w/ 1 TSP of cane brown sugar
  • 1/3 of a Chicken Burrito Bowl - Chipotle
  • Handful of natural almonds
  • 3/4 of a Chicken Bake - Costco
  • 1/2 Pepsi - Costco 
  • 2 Random samples - Costco
Day 3:
Juice: Bitter Sweet // Grapefruit, Oranges, Cucumber, Lime - Not even one ounce of bitter, I was relieved. It was really good actually, I think the flavors used work really well together!

Juice: Green Goblin // Kale, Cucumber, Celery, Apple, Lemon, Lime, Ginger - Just as good as it has been the last two days. This one was a little sweeter and a little tart, the Ginger wasn't the hero of the flavor.

Smoothie: Apple, Cinnamon, Celery, Dates, Coconut Milk - I was a little nervous for this one. I'm not a huge cinnamon fan, but it wasn't that bad. It was fairly neutral, not too sweet nor not too tart. I could definitely taste the cinnamon, but it was okay and not over bearing. These smoothies have such a funky texture, I think I'll just stick with juice!

Meal: Turkey // Sesame Roasted Lean Ground Turkey, Cauliflower Rice, Broccoli - Not gonna lie, I was stoked to try the cauliflower rice, I mean it's all over Pinterest and whatnot. Nothing can replace my love for white rice, but the crunch was awesome and it didn't taste bad at all. The ground turkey was okay, but started to get hot towards the end, as I spied red pepper flakes throughout - but I ate it like a champ. The broccoli was good, I made sure to cook it a little longer this time. I enjoyed this meal a lot and was excited to try this rice substitute, even though I'd prefer eating brown rice instead.

Other Items Eaten During the Day:
  • NOLA Iced Coffee 16oz - The Trade
  • 1/3 of a Chicken Burrito Bowl - Chipotle
  • Literally just 2 Krunchies to try them - Blue Diamond Growers
  • Chicken Katsu w/ brown & white rice - I Heart Teriyaki
Overall:
I liked it. Everything about it. The price, we can pretend I didn't mind paying for it, but overall I felt like it was worth it. I'd do it again next month or maybe every other month. I will opt for the $12 delivery fee, so I don't have to pick it up at 7AM every day. I appreciate how sweet the woman at Peel'd was - I'm guessing she's the owner. She was responsive to emails, except for the one regarding my Tuesday delivery, accommodating to my requests, and made everything fresh. I never once felt pressured to buy anything extra or do anything I didn't feel comfortable doing. Even Fork Lifter was responsive when I asked exactly what each meal entailed, so I could blog about it.

The logistics worked out great, but the taste was just as good. All three meals were different and satisfied me more than I could have asked for or believed would have. I tried new things and enjoyed them - although I probably won't go out of my way to make them on my own. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd order these meals for every lunch and dinner. I really like that I was able to try cauliflower rice and mashers, they both were awesome. All of the juices were good, I didn't have any complaints about any of the ones I tried. The smoothies I could do without, but I think it's a texture thing. I guess I don't hate dates as much as I thought. Since I asked for no bananas, she used dates in lieu of and the smoothies came out okay.

Another random liking that I experienced was the bottles Peel'd uses. Don't get me wrong, Sun & Soil's bottles are really gorgeous. But they are heavy and cumbersome. Same with Liquidology's, if you re-purpose them then maybe it's a better investment. Peel'd uses plastic and their bottles fit perfectly in my hand - their diameter is smaller than a normal water bottle. So random, but just a little thing I noticed.

In retrospect, I probably should have at least tried to eat Paleo while I did this. I don't think it's necessary, but it could have been a great addition to the program. I appreciate they way they sent out emails with information. For a true novice or someone more dedicated, this would have been very helpful. I skimmed them, but I'm sure there was some very useful tips included. They also send you a final one, after your program is complete, to wrap things up. Bonus, I even got a discount code to shop for my next Program (but I have to use it within four days).

All in all - It's worth it, if you don't mind spending $100.

5 for $20
As I picked up my last meal, I knew I wanted to get an extra juice or two. But then as I was at the counter to pay, I saw a sign that read 5 for $20. That's such a great deal for five juices, that I just went with it. They will last up to three or four days, which means I have plenty of time to drink them. J didn't mind them either, which I'm shocked, so I'm sure he'll enjoy some too! I also bought a new flavor, which wasn't on my program, and I'm excited to taste it! Hollister - Orange, Watermelon, Lime, Cucumber, Celery...
Hollister // Green Goblin // Carrot Pineapple // Raspberry Red // Hollister
Just a Girly Tomboy livin' that faux healthy lifestyle from time-to-time...

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. What a great blog post! I love Peel'd and saw this link from your YELP review and you covered it all so well! This informs the public on everything about Peel'd. Nice writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words. I'm glad I could give some insight into the program and to Peel'd! I'd love to hear your experience, if you do it! xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  2. Healthy, gourmet, calorie-controlled meals. Healthy portions, delicious flavors cooked fresh. Food Truck Catering Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...