#LikeAGirl

2:06 PM

I do everything #LikeAGirl


Because I am a girl and damn proud to be one.

Apparently this commercial/video went viral last summer. Always (yes, the feminine care products company) decided to bring it back to a slightly larger viewership during Super Bowl 49. If you haven't seen it, you can watch the video above.

I wish I could tell you how many times I've been told "You [insert any adjective] like a girl!" Mostly in a teasing manner, however, at times to put me down. That phrase has infuriated me ever since I knew that it was meant as something mean. Most of the time it comes from boys/men, but I can imagine there are a slew of the female kind that also say this to their fellow females.

If I were to look back most of the times I'd hear this would be from my guy friends and other male acquaintances. I've always hated this saying. I've been known to punch them in the arm or literally get offended when someone said this. When did doing something 'like a girl' become a sign of being wimpy?

Yes, women's physiques are and will never be the same as a man's. However, because we are built differently doesn't mean our traits aren't as valuable as theirs. Yes, due to physics and all that jazz we probably can't run faster or lift heavier, but we will damned if we don't try. Women are pushing the physical boundaries all the time, through so many different channels.

However, this commercial isn't necessarily talking about physical attributes of girls. Although they do use it to highlight their point. The commercial does a great job of taking the saying, "like a girl" and turning it around to be a positive. However, I feel as if their true message gets a little lost. Or at least what I believe is their message, which is that young adolescent girls lose a lot their confidence once they hit puberty. That might not be it verbatim or exactly but that's the gist of it.

Puberty sucks, I kinda remember it. Self doubt sets in heavily and everything around you seems to be a social competition - your clothes, school, and/or sports. Oh and then mix in your body changing, as well as all of a sudden having crushes on the boys you are use to playing sports with after school. However, I was lucky enough to be surrounded by very supportive people during my pubescent days - men and women, alike. I don't say this to brag, but to illustrate that by providing a young woman with positive reinforcement and encouragement, we can help them build the skills and emotional stability to be confident in anything they do. Whether its sports or academics, we need to remember that adolescents (girls and boys) are very susceptible to peer pressure and the likes. It is important to remember to instill confidence in them so they make good choices for themselves.

I don't have daughters. I don't need to for this to hit home. As a potential mother, someday, I know that this will effect my daughter(s) and I want to make sure I am aware of the way I work toward building her confidence, self esteem, and thoughts about herself. It's not easy navigating your way through puberty, much less after puberty. College and your 20's are pretty much just the next version of puberty, but add alcohol. Life still goes on, so it is important that we constantly remind ourselves and others to embrace ourselves and be confident in the people we are.

I run, lift, and play soccer #LikeAGirl and I'm damn proud!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Great post! I saw this ad for the first time on Sunday!!!! It made me teary. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I felt like when I went to write the post I couldn't get my thoughts out properly! xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...