WIAW - Crab Feed Style

10:18 AM

Every first Saturday of the year, I know exactly what I'm having for dinner...
Thanks, Jenn!
Crab. Crab. Crab. I love me some crab, but for some reason don't like lobster. See, I can be low maintenance at times ;)

This is my fourth consecutive year in a row attending this specific crab (and shrimp) feed.  The invite always comes from Momma Bear's best friend from her old work. However, the invite actually comes to her from her childhood friend. There is always a full table reserved for this group, I'd say it's about 40 people. All family friends and their friends.

Keepin' it class with plastic bibs!
We've become part of the group. They always tease me and say I don't have friends, since I always roll solo or with Momma and Poppa Bear. But I don't mind, it's always fun no matter who I'm there with.

If you aren't familiar with crab feeds, then I'll let you in on a little secret. They send out tons of filler before the crab. But I love the filler, even if I paid $45/ticket to eat filler, it's still tasty. This feed comes out in waves. Each table is given table red wine, which they will refill if you ask. Then comes an antipasti plate with garlic toasted baguettes (these are like crack). The comes a salad, they even add avocados, they are fancy here. I appreciate that small touch. Then they drop a bucket of fresh rolls too. Then they bring pasta - marinara and meat sauce with rigatoni noodles. This is probably my fave part, besides the crab of course.

Then as you're waiting for the grand finale, they bring melted butter and cocktail sauce as a teaser. After what seems like an hour and a half, then comes the crab and shrimp buckets. They are cold, so you've been warned.

They will continue to refill your buckets until you are crab fed! 

J hates seafood, but apparently crab is okay now!
However, if you are a seasoned veteran to the crab feed circuit, then there are a few tools to the trade. There are little holders for melted butter, which use a votive to stay warm. Another hint, take the roasted garlic from the antipasti plate and throw it in there - instant garlic butter, it's magical. There are also crab cracking and getting-out tools that you can buy and bring. Momma Bear comes with all these goodies, so I'm spoiled.

Depending on your preferences you can bring other things if you'd like. Obviously, since we're Asian, someone is always in charge of bringing rice. Other than that, we don't bring much else. Don't forget the wet-wipes to clean up afterward. Another hint would be to bring lemons to cleanse your hand and get that crab stench out of them! This one specifically, is also BYOD(essert). Everyone brings some type of goody to share with the table. Cookies were the theme this year.

Crab feeds are generally fundraisers for some type of group. This one is hosted by the Knights of Columbus, but I'm not really sure who the funds are being raised for. Since it is located at a parochial school. the students are the servers. The Knights man the kitchen and staff the ticket sales and the bar. 

There is also a raffle for various prizes that have been donated. And they are very random, but any donation is worthy so they raffle it off! Bu they have one fundraiser that is my absolute favorite, although I've never won. They have a locked box with 4 $100 bills. They sell random keys for $10 each and then they invite all the key holders to go up and attempt to open the box. If you succeed you receive one of the $100 bills, if not...sadly, you walk away with your head hanging. I haven't been successful yet, but I'll keep trying!

This is my key selfie from last years (2014) crab feed!
The Knights always have a DJ, who is quite a character. He plays music throughout the evening and the group has been known to get down after the raffle, they might even dim the lights if we're lucky! If you have a chance to attend a crab feed near you, DO IT! They are pricey, but they are so worth the investment. Get a group together, get a table, and let the fun begin!
Crabs are worth the work....

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Looks like fun! Not a fan of crab, but garlic butter does sound magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, garlic butter makes anything taste better :) xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  2. Hope you get that key that opens the lock one day to get that skrilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying..year after year! xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  3. As much of a crabbie as I am, I don't go to feeds very often! I usually just cook it at home. But it looks like a fun experience. Might have to get one in before the season is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth it, you should try to go the Asian Buddhist church one. It's pricey but they serve the crab Asian style, so yummy! xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There was a rumor that it might not happen next year, but if it still does, you'll get an invite! xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  5. I need to get better at crab. I always feel like a bear eating it. Like my hands have no idea what they're doing.

    I love the garlic butter idea though. I never end up using the butter when I eat crab because it seems flavorless compared to the crustaceany goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sit patiently next to my Dad and he always dumps a huge pile on my plate. But since J doesn't really care for it, but he does enjoy searching for it, it's a win-win for me :) Oh, I love to douse the crab in that garlicky buttery goodness! xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete
  6. I thought I was the only weirdo out there that loves crab, but hates lobster! ; ) I think it has something to do with the shell. With crab, I just see the crab legs, but seeing the whole lobster traumatizes me and I can't touch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacie! For me, I think it has to do with the texture. But every time I rip a leg from the body of the crab, I do feel a pang of guilt. I like when it's just the legs, I don't feel so bad, dismembering that poor little dude! Thanks for stopping by! xoxo, ganeeban

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...