10 Day YOU Challenge - 2 Songs

11:29 AM

Music moves my soul...
In case you missed My 10 Secrets, My 9 Loves, My 8 Fears, My 7 WantsMy 6 PlacesMy 5 Foods, My 4 Books , and My 3 Films take a peek! This "challenge" comes from Kristen's at Glitter and Dust

I'm the worst if you ask me who sings what. I love music. I love listening to the lyrics and applying them to my life, kinda sappy, right?! I love that it is there to soothe you, to get you moving, to motivate you, or to put you in a certain mood or elicit a specific feeling. I love tons of genre's and I'm not too picky. My heart is moved by oldies, old school R&B, and neo soul. But I love most of the other stuff, even country!

2 Songs
1. My Girl - Just like the movie. I love the song "My Girl." I want that to be the song I dance to with Poppa Bear for the traditional Father/Daughter dance. Everything about this song reminds me of my relationship with my dad. As a young girl scout, I also (along with my entire troop) sang the other version to our fathers, "My Guy" which also has a special place in my heart. At times I'm a Momma's girl, but most would agree (my Lil and) I are Daddy's girls.
"My Girl"
I've got sunshine on a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside I've got the month of May.

I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl (my girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl (my girl).

I've got so much honey the bees envy me.
I've got a sweeter song than the birds in the trees.

Well, I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl (my girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl (my girl).

Hey hey hey
Hey hey hey
Ooooh.

I don't need no money, fortune or fame.
I've got all the riches, baby, one man can claim.

Well, I guess you'd say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl (my girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl (my girl).

I've got sunshine on a cloudy day
With my girl.
I've even got the month of May
With my girl
Talkin' 'bout
Talkin' 'bout
Talkin' 'bout
My girl
Ooooh
My girl
As long as I can talk about my girl... 

2. There's Hope - I didn't really know about India.Arie until I went off to college. A friend introduced her to me. It was her albums that got me through my only breakup ever, but also her lyrics touched my heart. The words she expresses and the beautiful way she does so, is a perfect marriage for my ears. There's always hope and that's something I want to always remember and remind those that I love. Take some perspective and know that you can choose happy. The chorus is my favorite!!
"There's Hope"
[Verse 1:]
Back when I had a little
I thought that I needed a lot
A little was over rated,
but a lot was a little too complicated
You see-Zero didn't satisfy me
A million didn't make me happy
That's when I learned a lesson
That it's all about your perception
Hey-are you a pauper or a superstar
So you act, so you feel, so you are
It ain't about the size of your car
It's about the size of the faith in your heart
[Chorus:]
There's hope
It doesn't cost a thing to smile
You don't have to pay to laugh
You better thank God for that
[repeat]
There's hope
[Verse 2:]
Off in the back country of Brazil
A met a young brother that made me feel
That I could accomplish anything.
You see just like me he wanted to sing
He had no windows and no doors
He lived a simple life and was extremely poor
On top of all of that he had no eye sight,
but that didn't keep him from seein' the light
He said, what's it like in the USA,
and all I did was complain
He said-livin' here is paradise
He taught me paradise is in your mind
You know that
[Chorus]
[Bridge:]
Every time I turn on the T.V. (There's Hope)
Somebody's acting crazy (There's Hope)
If you let it, it will drive you crazy (There's Hope)
but I'm takin' back my power today (There's Hope)
Gas prices they just keep on rising (There's Hope)
The government they keep on lying
but we gotta keep on surviving
Keep living our truth and do the best we can do
[Chorus]
Stand up for your rights [echo]
Keep shining your light [echo]
And show the world your smile [echo]
[Chorus]


Both songs put the biggest smile on my face, EVERY SINGLE time I hear them. I do feel bad about not selecting a Mariah song (Dream Lover of course) or a Christina song (maybe Beautiful), because I love their voices and the lyrics in both of those songs! Music drums (no pun intended) up so many memories and emotions, it's hard to pick just two...

You are the perfect verse over a tight beat. - Brown Sugar 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...