WIAW - TJ's Style...

10:09 AM

No, not that lovely little town every college kids goes to for spring break...

Peas and Crayons
Thanks, Jenn!

I'm talking about Trader Joe's.

Or..
Trader Jose's (Mexican food)
Trader Ming's (Chinese food)
Baker Josef's (flour and bagels)
Trader Giotto's (Italian food)
Trader Joe-San (Japanese food)
Arabian Joe's (Middle Eastern food)
Pilgrim Joe's (New England specialties, like clam chowder)
JosephsBrau (beer)
Joseph Händler (wine)
Trader Johann's (lip balm)
Trader Jacque's (French food and soaps)
Joe's Diner (certain frozen entrees)
Joe's Kids (children's food)
Trader Darwin's (vitamins and health supplements)

These names crack me up! I can't remember when I first noticed them, but ever since then I always refer to TJ's as Trade Jose's!!

I generally buy the same things from TJ's, almost weekly. I thought I share with you what is getting me through this week - mostly for breakfast and lunch during the work week! I didn't need as much as usual, because of work lunch meetings. So please know that I generally eat way more than this ;)

Roasted Chicken Patties - These little nuggets are inexpensive (I think $2.49/package) and they are easily heated up in the microwave. Some might scoff at the notion of the microwave, but I am a full supporter. How else would anyone eat leftovers? I love to make a sandwich out of these, eat them over rice, or cut them up and add to a salad. They are quick and very versatile, if you don't feel like buying raw chicken and baking/cooking it...


Persian Cucumbers - Do I need to buy Organic? No. Do I need to buy Persian? No. But they are a steal and I appreciate their small size. I can grab one and eat it like a carrot stick, if I please. Or I can grab two and cut them up and have a snack at my desk. Either way, they are easy to carry and very refreshing to eat. It's just an added bonus that they are Organic. I generally stay away from product at TJ's - because it tends to be expensive and the selection isn't that great. But I enjoy these little guys!


Organic Cut & Peeled Carrots - Well, not much elaboration needs to be done regarding carrots. They are good for you and the come bite sized, how much perfect of a snack can they be? If I remember correctly, they are $1.99/package. They have non-organic for $1.49, but please don't quote me on that!


Turkey Burgers -  So I got real lazy this week and didn't feel like making them from scratch, which I usually do and buy the TJ's ground turkey to do so. But I saw these little nuggets in the freezer and thought I'd give them a try. Convenient and not too badly priced, I could deal with it! Taste has yet to be determined, but I can let you know if you are interested...


Organic Brown Rice - I finally gave in. One of my best friends has been buying this for years. I thought it was ludicrous to purchase frozen cooked rice, instead I'd make a fresh batch of brown rice in my little rice cooker and refrigerate it. Then, my laziness got the best of me. The pricing isn't bad, and I generally can get two (or three if I'm being diligent) servings out of one package. Its less sticky than I generally like my rice, but I'll take the convenience over the stickiness any day!


Chicken Chile Verde Burritos - Yeah, when I think of frozen burritos I think of gross and eww, only slobs eat those. Well, call me a slob, because these things are delicious! My only criteria for Mexican food is no beans (or mushrooms). This burrito is my savior, all it has is chile verde sauce and chicken, and the tortilla too! I wouldn't mind if they added rice, but I'll skip those calories. I tend to heat this up for a quick breakfast at my desk. Sometimes they become lunch or dinner, if I'm in a bind or really lazy, but I generally eat them first thing in the morning. I love a huge breakfast, so these are perfect!


Cookie Thins, Toasted Coconut - These little thin pieces of heaven are delicious. I have the hardest time only eating one serving size, I think it is 7 cookies! They are so thin, perfectly flavored, and crunchy - did you just start salivating like I did? My cousin actually used them on the outside of a birthday cake, they turned slightly soggy, but added a fun element to a homemade cake. They also come in Meyer Lemon, they are good, but just not as good as these ones! Be warned, they are that good and it will be hard not to eat the whole box in one sitting!!

  There are some other things I generally buy on a weekly basis, which I didn't buy this week:
  • Ground Turkey 1lb
  • Prepackaged beets
  • Corn (in a can)
  • 1 dozen eggs
  • Organic Baby Spinach
  • Organic Mixed Greens
  • Pesto Pizza
I'm interested in if you have any suggestions as to what I'm missing out on. I have taken friends advice to buy a few other things, but they always are to spicy for me :( Examples of said crazy spicy, yet friend-approved items are:
  • Kimchi Fried Rice
  • Chicken Pad Thai
I will say, I do love that they sample something at all times of the day OR I'm just that lucky to always be there during their sampling hours. This week they offered their "Edamame Nuggets" and "Japanese Fried Rice"! They got me, I can't wait to buy them for Veggie Week, they were tasty!

I used think TJ's was all hippy-dippy, until I got sucked in to the baller-on-a-budget hippie vortex!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. OMG. TJ's is such a snack trap for me! I go to the one near my workplace almost every week. I buy: Roasted Coconut Chips, Sesame Cashews and other nuts and make my own trail mix. I am also addicted to their Fig Butter. I go through jars of that stuff. I slather it on crackers and eat it with brie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, their snacking options are amazing! Have you tried their almonds w/ honey and sesame seeds?!? Please do, if you haven't :) Those roasted coconut chips are delish, but I always forget about them. They are going on my list, if I remember to make one next time! Thanks for the ideas, I will be sure to take a look at them next trip to TJ's!

      Delete
  2. Good lord, we probably have run into each other at TJ's and not realized it because I live there, but guess what! I haven't tried any of these products. I'm most interested in those chicken patties! Seems like a great quick meal with some quinoa and broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy how two people can go to the same place, the same amount of times, and never buy the same items? Your idea for the chicken patties sounds awesome, I need to add quinoa more in my life :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...