#megsmiles

3:19 PM

It is with a heavy heart I write this post.

I generally don't write two in one day, but this is a MUST!

Thanks to the current norms of social media, we hear about tragedies and stories all over the nation, more frequently and more often. Sadly, one of ours was taken. When I say "ours" I mean the running community. This happens all too often, but this tragedy has become a movement.

This is an excerpt taken from the Facebook page dedicated to Meg:

"Meg Cross Menzies was tragically killed by a drunk driver while out for her morning run on January 13, 2014. As an avid runner, member of the Richmond Road Runners Club, and Boston marathoner, she was a member of the running family nationwide."

From the articles I've read, she was following proper running etiquette and she was still tragically taken from us. So, as a community, TOMORROW - 1/18/14 they are asking the running community, our family of sorts, to run for Meg. No matter where you life, the mileage, or your pace - log some miles for Meg!

This is disheartening, because at times when I'm running on the road, I have thought about what if I got hit by a car? Am I wearing enough neon and reflectors for drivers to see me? Are my reflexes fast enough to jump out of the way?

Anyway, here's how you can join in and embrace the family that we've all adopted (this has been modified from what they've posted on FB):

  • Hopefully soon everything will be on a website donated to the family:  www.megsmiles.com
  • On Saturday:
    • Print a bib to wear: Bib
    • RUN - Join a friend or many. Any distance. At any time. Anywhere.
    • Take picture and use #megsmiles on ALL social media posts
    • Tag your location where you ran: Map
    • Fill out this form to track all the miles that were ran for Meg: Form

I am committing myself to run two miles tomorrow; 1 for Tito Boy/(Uncle) Al who we will lay to rest tomorrow and 1 for Meg! These will both be remembrance miles and each mile I will think of them, pray for their loved ones, and also celebrate their legacy. I don't care or need to have known Meg. She was part of a community that I (although at times say I'm not) am in - the running community.

We might not be able to bring her back, but we can come together and do what we do best, RUN! Run in her honor and celebrate her life and one of the things (I think) she loved to do!

I often hear someone say I'm not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner. - Bart Yasso 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...