I Don't Believe...

11:04 AM

I think I'm the only person who doesn't believe in Karma.

Yes, you read that correctly!

So as I started to write this, I decided I'd look up the definition (thanks trusty 'ol Wikipedia):

Karma (Sanskrit: कर्म[1] IPA: [ˈkarmə] ( ); Pali: kamma) is the concept of "action" or "deed", understood as that which causes the entire cycle of cause and effect (i.e., the cycle called saṃsāra). Originating in Bharata Khanda also known as Ancient India and originally used in "Sanātana Dharma", and later religions such as Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism,[2] Taoism,[3] Shintoism and others.


So if I look at this specific definition, I don't mind the idea of Karma as much. Solely, because it does not single out the good and bad. It is general and is talking about your decision to act and how the cycle of "cause and effect" are played out. If everyone understood this definition, I'd accept Karma more.



However, the general consensus regarding Karma is when you perform an action/deed, something will eventually come back to you, in which the manner you performed the original action/deed. We tend to look at it when someone does something bad, we think (or maybe even hope) that something bad will come back to them at some point. However, no one ever seems to talk about why people would do good deeds. Do you do a good deed to have a good deed happen to you in return? Most would say "no," correct? Well, if you believe in Karma, then it works both days - the good and the bad. You many not go out of your way to do good deeds for "good Karma", but that is what you are saying when you believe in Karma.

Please, don't get me wrong, I am no saint by any means. I make poor choices and am not the nicest all the time. But when I do something good/nice, I generally do it to make someone else happy or help out in a situation. I don't think that someday this good deed will come back my way. I do the deed and I'm done with it.

As for when bad things happen to me, I just accept it. It's taken a long time for me to evolve to this mindset. I used to get unbelievably pissed, curse whoever I thought did it, or just get mad at the world. But apparently, I'm growing as a person. I know there are things that aren't within my control. I can accept them and not let them upset me, it does me no good to do so.

Recently, I ordered a package from Zappos. The tracking said it was delivered, but the package was not where it should have been. First, I called UPS, who said they couldn't help and that the sender had to call and start a claim. I then called Zappos immediately and the rep was really helpful. I told him the situation and he credited my account right away. He was understanding and knew it was out of both of our controls. So, if Zappo's wasn't as accommodating as they were, maybe I wouldn't be so laid back about my package being stolen.

After a crazy weekend, where I completely forgot about my stolen package, I come home for lunch on Monday. I just happen to see the UPS delivery men and decide to ask them about the package. He honestly couldn't remember exactly, I don't blame him (he must deliver thousands of packages this time of year), but he said he normally puts it behind the gate. As we're talking I see a random, open box on the side of the street (in the gutter). I was going to ignore it, but something made me go look at it. Lo and behold, it was my Zappos's box, my name and address on the outside, my Zappos order from inside, but no shoes!


Evidence of the stolen package, leaves to boot!

Don't get me wrong, I was bummed I didn't get my shoes. But the first thought that came to my mind was "I hope whoever stole these, really needed them". I know it is a stretch to hope that they provided warmth for someones feet (other than mine), rather than them stealing them to sell. Maybe they needed the money? Whatever the case may be, regardless of their financial situation, I hope they pay it forward to someone else who may need some help.

This is a mindset I haven't always had. Like I said before, it might be attributed to the fact that Zappo's didn't charge me OR it is because I'm changing and growing as a person. I hope it is the later. I know that things happen, but it is how you react to them that defines me (I think I've seen this quote on FB or IG, multiple times).

Are you a believer?

Karma's a b***h, if you believe in it...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...