TMI: The Beet Edition

9:58 AM

I don’t do acronyms!
 
But TMI just works so well. So here is my disclaimer, you might want to stop reading this, because we might get really personal here for a quick second.
 
I’ve come to realize that beets are polarizing. Among other things that are polarizing, people either love it OR hate it!
 
Growing up, I ate them. I ate them because my Mom ate them. I didn’t think twice about it. I didn’t dislike the flavor and when you use it in a salad with ranch dressing, your salad magically turns pink (girly, yes)! Poppa Bear hates them, but I’d taken to my Mom’s affinity for them. I actually love them these days. I buy them and eat them as snacks.
 

Beet & Arugual Salad

 
However, I didn’t realize that if you eat them in (apparently) large quantities it changes the color of everything. And by EVERYTHING…I’m talking pee and “other” stuff. At first I was alarmed, but then I was weirded out. Of course, I went to my trusty resource of google.com. I always feel validated when I start to type something in a search and it auto populates with what I’m looking for, I feel less like a dork! So, apparently here’s what’s up via Wikipedia:
 
"The red colour compound betanin is not broken down in the body, and in higher concentration may temporarily cause urine (termed beeturia) and stool to assume a reddish colour. This effect may cause distress and concern due to the visual similarity to hematuria (blood in the urine) or blood in the stool, but is completely harmless and will subside once the food is out of the system."
 
So, nothing to be alarmed about. The $11 worth of 1.3 pounds of Beet & Arugula salad from the Sac Co-Op my co-worker gave me wasn’t a trick. It was normal, I guess. I’ve been eating beets regularly, recently, so this threw me for a loop. I guess I eat it in such small quantities it doesn’t affect my body like it does when I eat ¼ of a pound of beets in one sitting. The salad is literally that good and fairly clean -  beets, arugula, Santa Cruz lemon juice, red onion, parsley, olive oil, black pepper, sea salt, feta cheese (optional and the health hut co-worker did not add this, but I wish he did)!
 
You learn something new every day…

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...