Runner's Swag on High!

2:51 PM

I’m still treating this 30 year old body, like it’s a 20 year old version…


 

Up until this past weekend, my body has been doing great after runs. Alas, I had to hit a wall somewhere. After running an unofficial half marathon with the lil, then showering and running straight to an outdoor game (with no subs) – my body has yet to recover. Granted, I haven’t allowed it to either. Monday night was an indoor soccer game, Tuesday AM was a strength and condition class and 6 miles, relatively easy, in the evening. Needless to say, it’s Wednesday and I have my temp/speed training with my running group tonight. So, as I sit here and complain, I do it with a smile – because this has been a great snail mail week for me.

 

I finally gave in! I didn’t want too, but carrying my iPhone in my SPIbelt (haha, I just googled it and it stands for Small Personal Item Belt…how creative) isn’t going to cut it in double digit runs. I’ve become very accustomed to it sitting on my back, but the less I have to carry for the actual race, will be best. So I got the ever so popular Garmin watch.


Originally I was going to get the cheap version, but I really didn’t like the color options..I know, I know…girly and vain…what can I say, at times it happens. I looked at all the models, but couldn’t justify a $600 watch. So I finally settled on the Garmin Forerunner 210 – the cute (teal accents) somewhat girly, but still tomboy like (black/grey). This color scheme comes with the heart rate monitor, so its slightly pricier. But being the baller-on-a-budget that I am, I bought it when they were offering a rebate. I’ll take an extra $25 back in my pocket, thanks Garmin! So, now it’s charged and ready for me to pop its cherry tonight at our speed run! Lucky me…

 


After almost eating shit last Friday in my AM run, I decided it was finally time to invest in a headlamp. And the fact that the coaches in my training group keep prancing around in them on Wednesday nights and talk about them all the time, was also good reinforcement. Last week I took inventory of the brand and styles that everyone was wearing…geeze, I didn’t realize these things were going to be more than $10 (rook running mistake, again)! Apparently, Petzl has cornered the marketplace for dorky running head lamps, so thus went my search onAmazon.com. I found one for $30 and promptly purchased that thing. I am vain, but I’d rather not a) be walking around with road rash or b) not be walking because I got hit by a car. As I did my 6 miles (easy) last night, I really should have busted out the new head lamp, by 7PM it was almost pitch black, things could have gotten ugly. Luckily I made it home in one piece with some really, really sore legs.



So, I guess I’m becoming more of a runner than I ever thought I would. These little gadgets, that break the damn bank, are all culminating into some serious runner swag. What am I going to do with it all post CIM? I wonder how much I can make re-selling a used, sweaty head lamp? As I hit the halfway mark of training – if you go by long run mileage – then I’m halfway through my training. I have two months left of training and my legs are just now starting to show fatigue. The added cross training and sports this weekend did not help the situation, but I’m in need of something…the one thing that keeps popping up in my head is “ICE BATH”. I’m scared shitless of doing this…it sounds like the worst 10 minutes of my life. That and I have to go buy something to plug my tub to make it happen and go by the ice. Seems like a lot of work for torture. But hey, professional athletes do it, right? So it must be beneficial

 

My running swag has been up’d for sure…

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...